Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion

Subject: Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:35 am (PDT)
This is what I do.
One channel for loud and one channel for quiet at about 40 db pad.

Since you are not about play back audio to anyone at a 140 db dynamic
range anyway you can handle it in edit.

Use the quiet until you distort and then mix in the padded loud stuff
and cut out the quiet channel when needed.  Everything used from the
loud channel will be close to 0 db when working with thunder.  The end
result is not noticed.  When mixed correct you can still bounce the
people off their chairs at 96 db and they can still hear the
intercloud and echos at -80 db below that.

Rich

--- In  "guyhand2" <> wrote:

> I've been familiarizing myself with my new Sound Devices 722 and
Shure VP88 stereo mic by
> recording the numerous thunderstorms that have rumbled through Idaho
this summer.
> Although I've been careful to keep my volume levels low enough not
to distort the loudest
> cracks of thunder, I find the occasional sound of distortion in
playback.

> When I look at the waveforms in ProTools, I don't see any clipping
and they appear to be well
> below a distored level, yet I can hear it now and then (but not on
all of the thunder, and not
> neccessarily on the loudest occurances).
>
> Do I need to change the Gain Range on the 722 from "normal" to "low"
even though the
> overall level is lower than I'd like?  Any other suggestions?
>
> Also, on a slightly different slant on sound levels,  I find that in
general recording on any of
> my mics if I don't keep the volume near the top end of the level
meter LEDs on the 722  (near
> the 0 dBFS mark), I get a far more anemic final level (as seen in a
ProTools wave form) than I