Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion

Subject: Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion
From: "Bruce Wilson" bruceumba
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 am (PDT)
I had a similar experience when recording train whistle blasts from close
up. Since I had the gain turned down to a minimum, and the mic pads at -10
dB I thought I could record without wind protection. I confirmed this was a
good setup by listening to the mics when no train was around, and it sounded
very quiet when the bass rolloff was on.

When the train came by the whistle distorted badly, and turned off and on
during as single blast. Turns out I was so near the maxumum diaphram
excursions from the whistle levels (I was using large-diaphram mics), that
the addidion of wind pressures drove it into a very non-linear region.. When
I put the wind cover on for the next train the whistle sounded fine.

So now when I want a very loud sound I turn off any bass rolloff so I can
sense when wind will affect my max SPL.

Bruce Wilson
http:/science.uvsc.edu/wilson