Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion

Subject: Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion
From: "guyhand2" guyhand2
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 am (PDT)
Mike,

Thanks to the quick reply to my thunder question.

> 1) Close thunder is REALLY LOUD.  If you have your sensitivity turned
> low enough to not rail/clip/distort close thunder, you're going to
> have near silence between the thunder hits.

Believe me, I know that close thunder is really loud.  Ironically, one of the
best recording
I've got is of a really loud thunder clap that sounded right overhead.  That
one didn't clip.
The clipping problem I had was on thunder that was a bit further away and far
below the
level of distortion according to my 722 meters.  That's what confounds me and
makes me
wonder if it's a mic overload issue.

> 2) I'm not quite sure what kind of distortion you might be talking
> about if you can't see it waveform displays, and it's not necessarily
> in the loudest portions.  Are you hearing wind rumble on your mics?
> Any chance of picking up some kind of electromagnetic interference
> with all of the static electricity bouncing around?

I'm sure it's not wind rumble.  I had a zepplin on the mic and had it
positioned in a
sheltered spot.  And the noise was not wind rumble, but sounded just like the
digital
distortion you get from a too-high level.  As for static electricity, I don't
know, but in
general the lightening was flashing fairly far from my location.

Guy