Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion

Subject: Re: Preventing Thunder Distortion
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:26 am (PDT)
Guy, your problem is very possibly that you're overloading the mic
itself. All mics have a maximum SPL that they're capable of
recording. The shure is somewhere between 119 and 129. There is a
lots of low energy in a thunder clap, and it's probably just too loud
for the mic. If the 722 lights aren't clipping, it's probably that.
You could try and switch to low gain to see what happens, that will
tell you if it's the 722. Also, is the limiter engaged on the 722?
That should keep the 722 from distorting (or help).

I too find that the metering scheme on the 722 is such that files
into PT seem lower than my DAT. The good news, that if you're
recording 24 bit, recording a bit low shouldn't be much of a problem,
just gain it up a bit, the 722's noise floor is WAY down there, and
at 24 bit, the resolution is still there, over 16 bit.

Tim