New member

Subject: New member
From: "Joe Lippencott" joelippencott
Date: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:46 pm (PDT)
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here. Very happy to be part of the group. My name is
Joe Lippencott and I live in central NJ near New Brunswick.
I have been interested in recording since I was a teenager, when I
dabbled with it for a few years, but haven't really been active again
until recently.
Nowadays it's much easier and cheaper to get quality recording
compared to the primitive equipment available 40 years ago, unless
you had money growing on trees, and digital didn't even exist yet.

My main subjects of interest are thunderstorms and ambient
recordings. I also like animal sounds of any kind, and I would like
to occasionally do sound effects for variety.

My equipment consists of the following:
- A Sony PC204A Instrumentation cassette recorder (R-DAT). 4 channels
(although I only use 2 for now) Freq. response of DC to 20KHz. 48KHz
sample rate w/64X oversampling A/D & D/A. 16 bit linear quantization.
This was sold as a portable laboratory recorder for data, but it is
perfect for audio. Power; 120VAC or 12VDC.
- A Behringer UB1222FX-Pro mixer. Very good quality for the price.
This is semi-portable, especially when I power it with a pure sine-
wave inverter. I like it for its versatility over just a mic preamp.
I can use it in the field and also in the studio, although I'm
considering getting a smaller one that works on internal batteries.
- An Edirol (Roland) UA-1EX USB audio interface for getting
recordings into my laptop.
- Currently I only have two mics. A matched pair of Behringer C-2
condensers. Another good value.
I'm saving my pennies for a pair of Rode NT1-A mics. I like the S/N
specs on them.
- I use Adobe Audition 1.5 for recording, processing, and for burning
CDs.

I'm a newbie with this technology and with nature recording in
general, so I hope to learn a great deal from all you folks in this
group.

Thanks for letting me on board.

Best regards
Joe