Re: Small MicPre for use with SD 744T

Subject: Re: Small MicPre for use with SD 744T
From: "Tim Nielsen"
Date: Sun Jun 4, 2006 11:49 am (PDT)
Sound Devices makes a pretty nice small preamp, called an MP2, which
should be an acceptable match to the 744, not as good, but close
enough. I think around $700

Also, Grace Design makes probably the best portable preamp, the V3,
about $1500, but a very close match to the 744ts, and probably better.

I decided instead of a 744 to get two 722's. My thinking is this. Two
722's is probably less in size than a 744 AND an external preamp,
when you figure that you'll need an external battery probably for the
preamp. Secondly, I wanted a perfect match between the preamps, which
two 722's will give you. Third, you can buy two 722's for the price
of a 744 and preamp and battery, noticably less if the preamp you
choose is the V3. And lastly, having two 722's allows me to separate
the rigs, and set up two different stereo recorders when I want,
which is nice.

The linking function links them together for start and stop recording
buttons. It's not perfect, I'll still have to line up the records
with a marker of some kind, a hand-clap or something, since linking
isn't implemented perfectly yet in the 722.

If you don't need the timecode, might be an option.

Tim