Re: WL183 vs. WL93

Subject: Re: WL183 vs. WL93
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:36 am (PDT)
Hi David--
Great. The more we can correlate info the better.
The gain difference is consistent with the specs,
but the WL93 should require less power according
to the specs (2 volt minimum compared to 5).

The hope is that when you turn up the gain on
your RH-10 to compensate for the wl93's lower
sensitivity, the sound file it produces compared
to that of the 183's, will have less noise due to
the wl93's lower self noise. (18dBA vs 22.5dBA)
(Sorry, I see scrambled that noise spec for the
183 in the first post). We know the noise of the
HiMD pre is low enough to not add noise with the
increased gain. Since  the HiMD pre has 75dB
gain, one should be able to compensate for this
~9dB difference most of the time. assuming
everything else checks out.

All you'd need to do is record room room tone
with both mics at full pre gain. Room tone works
well because there's not a lot of Hi Hz content
to mask the "hiss" part of the spectrum where
most of the noticeable noise occurs. Record for
ten minutes and choose the thinnest 5 second
sections.

Another test could be done to see whether the two
mics respond differently to Low Hz transients.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts