Re: WL183 vs. WL93

Subject: Re: WL183 vs. WL93
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:38 pm (PDT)
At 2:02 PM -0400 6/16/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Rob Danielson"
>
>>  Hi David--
>>  Great. The more we can correlate info the better. The gain difference
>>  is consistent with the specs, but the WL93 should require less power
>>  according to the specs (2 volt minimum compared to 5).
>

>Power is a function of both voltage and current. You need to check both.
>In this case I expect that the WL93 is drawing a lot more current (which
>would draw the PIP voltage down)
>
>Walt

Below are the specs I know of at the moment in case anyone wants to
project results with math to correlate with the bench and  A/B
listening tests underway.

Shure has the wl183's power requirements as:  1.5 -10 vdc with + 5
vdc regulated nominal. There's no current spec that I can find. (I
found the larger voltage range stated on another .pdf which one can
access from this page:
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Downloads/UserGuidesAndTechSpecs/index.htm?ss=
ProductCategory=3DMicrophones&region3_element5_NextRow=3D126
)

For the wl93,  Shure recommends operation voltage as 2 to 10 V; with
5 V nominal.
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WirelessMicrophones/us_pro_WL93_cont=
ent
(html) also suggests that the typical drain is 40 microAmps.

My NH900 HiMD outputs 2.36 volts unloaded with a fresh AA alkaline
battery. When I measured  the NH900 and RH910 PIPs circuits under
load with Klas's (primo em-23?) capsule, the voltage measured .42
volts.

As a reference, Nick designs his MicBooster MB to run on 0.7 mA. I'm
not sure if he's certified HiMD PIP to supply this.

Rob D.