Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Thu May 18, 2006 8:01am(PDT)
>  The ability to "plant" 3 recorders on 3 people for 7 hour stints
>  $700USD and at a media cost of $15USD/day and still have $1300 USD to
>  spend on a nice ambience rig would have me thinking that solving the
>  pc/mac "boot problem" is easy. Check the HiMD forum link on the page
>  for linux solutions, you never know. I bought a 233MHz $100 laptop
>  running SS version 3.2 that I use just for uploading. Sounds like a
>  fun project there. By golly, the outdoors is a large, complex room.
>  Have fun getting people turned onto sound. Rob D.

Yes that scenario deserves a really good look.  But just to point out
the budget is $2000AUD not USD.  That's a pretty big difference but
doesn't diminish your point (just the opposite).

I just did a surf round, including the minidisc forums, and there is
widespread be-moaning of the inability to use the
sony devices with linux.  The hacks and accomodations that exist for the
mac aren't even present.

The dual-boot setup would be the best solution if I went this way but
there are no gaurauntees.  Sony claim that SonicStage will not work on
dual boot systems -
http://www.sonydigital-link.com/dna/SonicStage/sstage_dl.asp
Personally I suspect it would work but Sony do seem pretty successful at
making their products inflexible.

An alternate solution would be networking a windows computer to my linux
box but that is something that is going to send me really grey.  I'm not
profficient at networking.  And then again I could return to windows cap
in hand.  But I just can't come at that.  Life is too short and I have
actually begun to enjoy using computers again since 'the switch'.  (Not
to evangelise - that's just how it is.)

Interesting that idea:
>  Have fun getting people turned onto sound. Rob D.

You have me thinking about the aesthetics of this exercise now - which
are a little confusing: Why would you want to visit a beautiful natural
soundscape and then put on headphones and listen to an audio tour?

I'll keep working on that - and equipment choices.

thanks Rob

Graham E.