Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Thu May 18, 2006 0:17am(PDT)
At 11:11 AM +0800 5/18/06, Graham Evans wrote:

>In the short term I have to do some interviewing in a forest with
>natural ambient noise evident and some remixing of studio interview with
>captured forest noises.  This is all happening on a total budget of
>around $2000AUD.

>where natural sounds
>are used to set the scene.

Hi Graham--

I believe you'd want to record the voices close-mic'd with a fixed
micing distance (like a lavaliere mount) and then record your
settings (ambience) with stand mounted low noise mics and use
recording gains suited for reaching deep into the natural spaces. For
this kind of situation, I set-up an "ambient" rig and let it run at
the same time I do the voice recordings.  This way, in case there is
an event that deserves capturing/commenting upon, I'm covered.  Its
pretty easy to sync up two sound files in post. You can get into a
set-up for ambience and another one or two recorders for voice with
very good quality for well under $2000.  Here's one recording rig for
ambience you can study:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

Rode NT-4's are good for "I only have one mic" general purpose but a
pair of 3032's are much more versatile. Rode NT1-A's, as Allen
suggests might be good for an ambience rig too, but omni's like the
AT3032's are hard to beat for ambience. Take a look at Curt Olson's
rigs he's exploring on the same page.

For voice, I slip a HiMD recorder into the interviewee's pocket (and
mine too when I need to be on mic as well). That way, both people can
walk and talk freely and you'll get very consistent sound
levels/qualities that are much much easier to edit than hand held on
boomed mics. Sound Professonals has several fairly low cost lavaliere
mics that will perform very nicely with HiMD and this application.
You can email me off list if this seems like a direction you'd like
to go. I'll be adding more sound files folks on this list have been
realizing with NT1-A's too.  Rob D.