technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise

Subject: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Wed May 17, 2006 8:07pm(PDT)
Hi everyone

I have just joined this group after spending a fair time reading through
archives related to the pmd660, 670 and 671 and downloading some of the
sound samples.

I wonder if anyone in the group who ended up with the pmd660 and/or 670
could give me some advice.  While I realise the ideal set-up, within the
marantz range, would be a 671 and a decent mic, I am trying to balance a
limted budget between recorder and mic and I currently have no audio
equipment at all.

In the short term I have to do some interviewing in a forest with
natural ambient noise evident and some remixing of studio interview with
captured forest noises.  This is all happening on a total budget of
around $2000AUD.  I can hopefully get the 660 for $1000aud, the 670 for
$1300 and have a definite quote on the 671 of $1600AUD.  The roede nt4 I
can get for $600AUD.

firstly; I am wondering if a roede nt4 mic will acheive the effect I need.
I have heard some complaints that the roede nt4 can be too 'hot' for the
pmd660.

In the long term I want to use the equipment for the audio tracks of my
amatuer movie making attempts.  What I want is inspired by some japanese
films I have seen but whose names I can't recall where natural sounds
are used to set the scene.

I want to record such things as:
*the sounds of brooks burbling away.  We are talking about fairly quiet
brooks where I  live.
*forest noises - birds, cicadas and other insects, sticks falling.
These would be taken in very quiet isolated spots but the forest noises
themselves would also be fairly quiet.
*wind noises that don't represent wind interference with the microphone.
(I realise these are some fairly ambitious goals but I just want to make
sure I have the right base to work toward them with.)

The 670, which apparently will bear a hotter signal than the 660, is
looking like the compromise solution.  It's a shame because I like the
form-factor of the 660.

I guess I could put my question this way:
Should I go for the pmd660 to give me an extra $300AUD for a better mic,
or perhaps a second mic.  If I was to go this way what would be a good
choice of mic(s).

I guess I could also think about a seperate pre-amp with that extra 300
or so.  I don't find money so easy to come across so I want to get the
right thing 'cos I will be stuck with it for a good while.

thanks for any help, and thanks for the help I've already had via the
archives (which I'm still wading through)
Graham E,
northcliffe
south-west Western Australia
(in the heart of the Karri Forests and the coastal plains of
D'Entrecasteaux National Park)