Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature noise
From: "John Hartog"
Date: Thu May 18, 2006 4:22pm(PDT)
Hi Graham

Having used a PMD670/NT1A combo for a couple years I can attest they
work pretty well together.  For examples of recordings, I have
recently added microphone and recorder notes to many of the entries
on my Sound Journal page.

http://www.rockscallop.org/JVp2.html

One thing to consider is nt1as are bulky, heavy, and extremely
sensitive to handling and wind vibrations.

The 670 would probably be fine for voice unless the voice was very
loud and very close.

For nature recording I find the 670 a lot easier to use than a tiny
MD, however it is unimpressive where it comes to headroom and noise.
The level controls increments go from 0 to 10, but on mine it seems
to become inconsistent between channels below level 2.

Over two or so years of moderate use I have had only a few problems
with my 670.  Mainly with distortion (bottoming out)when recording
very loud subjects like ocean surf and waterfalls.  Also, headroom
has been an issue when recording things with wide dynamic range =96
like a close up of a riffle in a stream where even with the levels
set way low the periodic water bursts will clip.  That's why I
recently switched to a HiMD and a rolls pb224 (as recomended by Rob):
for the increase in headroom and gain and presumably quieter
preamps.  For now the 670 is my backup.

John Hartog