pmd670 and roede NT1A's or AT3202's

Subject: pmd670 and roede NT1A's or AT3202's
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Thu May 18, 2006 8:22am(PDT)
(from the thread //Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature
noise/)/

> Hopefully the 670 will also cope, using these mics, with recording
> sound at a slightly higher level than 'ambient' ie. spoken word in a
> studio situation.  If you are using the gain set at one Rob, it can
> still go down to zero right.  I have heard that, beyond that, the
> internal 'pads' on the Marantz devices are very noisy.
>
> I will keep at my homework.
>
> thanks again
> Graham

er... I mixed up Rob's name with Allen there.  Sorry... got it now.  The
question I was asking Allen is: if you have used the gain set at one
while recording ambient noise then, using those same mics in a louder
studio situation, will I need to pad the mic signal so it is within the
input capacity of the pre-amp?  From one to zero doesn't seem like much
room.

The gear I am talking about here is the mazantx pmd670 (stock) with two
roede NT1A's.  If anyone has used those mics, or the AT-3032's, along
with the pmd670 I would appreciate knowing whether they clip the pre-amp
or require the pad to be turned on when recording higher volume noises. =

I am not talking about recording heavy-metal band type volume but
spoken-word/ interview in a studio situation.  Experiences with the
pmd660 are also interesting to me.

I realise I may be trying to acheive too much with too little kit here
and will keep thinking about other options like the HiMD's suggested by
Rob, and possibly the cheaper solid-state recorders which would allow me
to buy extra mics.

Graham