Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Fri May 19, 2006 7:11pm(PDT)
Thanks all for the advice on minidisc models.  I have ordered three
Message: 700s.
Subject: At the price I was tempted to order an extra for emergencies.

>I'll weigh in here with a slightly contrarian perspective on this: I
>don't consider a careful analog transfer from MD to DAW to be a
>guaranteed train wreck that must be avoided at all costs. Firewire or
>USB file transfer from the recording device to the computer is
>obviously preferable, but sometimes other factors will win the day. In
>my experience, mic selection, mic deployment, field craft and the
>recorder itself are far bigger influences on the quality and value of
>the final recording.
>
>I'll duck for cover now...
>
>Curt Olson

That's something which hadn't even occured to me - probably becuase my
starting point was solid state recorders.

I really like the idea of avoiding windows and networking hassle but I
expect I will have to go there.

I have an integrated sound system on my computer board (a reasonably
high end ASUS 64 bit board).  It does have a digital in but I expect
there is no digital out on the md.  Anyway such a sound set up seems
unlikely to produce a great result on the analog line.  And rather than
get set up with a professional sound card (which I have considered for a
variety of reasons) I may as well just use the benefits of the md
digital technology.

thanks for the escape clause though.

Graham