Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature
From: "Julian Baldwin"
Date: Sat May 20, 2006 0:19pm(PDT)
Graham,
A 'lapel mic', or what the Americans describe as a 'lav', is a small mic
designed to be clipped onto a person's lapel or tie to pick up their voice.
They are widely used for interviews on TV and so are particularly suitable
for voice recording. They do need good wind protection though.

They would probably be ideal for use with your MD recorders particularly if
they were wired up to be powered by 'Plug-In-Power' (PIP) which is probably
available from your MD machines.

Sony ECM77 is the model of lapel mic probably most favoured in the TV
industry in the UK - partly because it is small and therefore visually
unobtrusive - but it is relatively expensive. There are cheaper alternative=
(e.g. ECM 44). If you buy the wire ended version of a mic it can probably b=
wired to work off PIP.

Incidentally, does anyone in this group know how to wire an ECM 77 for PIP
directly from an MD recorder?

Julian
Bristol, England