Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Fri May 19, 2006 5:27am(PDT)

>Your project sounds really exciting. I love the idea of a
>visitor strolling through the sculpture garden with open-air
>phones or earbuds, listening to the dialog, and occasional
>Foley. If the phones are open-air, the visitor may end up having
>no idea the Foley isn't local live sound. The possibilities are
>delightful!

Thanks for the intro to stereo imaging techniques Allen.  I am going
through that material (dial-up style unfortunately but living in a
remote area can't be all good fun or we wouldn't have it to ourselves
anymore).

As well as the gear advice I have got some great inspiration for this
project by coming to this list.  It is making more sense to me now.  The
foley effect confused with the real world sound will work really well
on, for instance, the sound of a kangaroo hopping off.  You often hear
this sound in the bush around here without seeing the kangaroo.  I will
try and think of some more phantoms: the really quitely burbling stream
is another one you often never spot it is so small and buried underneath
the vegetation.  Crickets(cicadas) and birds obviously could be real or
not real they are so good at hiding.

I will post you a good kangaroo hopping off noise here once I capture
it.  It describes the sensation of this region so well.  I know just the
place to capture it.  As long as their are no cars around at the time...

And I have come up with a 'scene' (that's my digital-video pedigree
coming out) based on Rob's idea of having mobile interviewer and
interviewee, each with their own seperate mics and recorders, and
another seperate ambience recording station.  The subject and
interviewer will be walk underneath and through a particularly large
sculpture being planned and discuss it from different angles - something
which probably couldn't even be caught well with a boom operator.

I have ordered my sony minidisc recorders (3 of the 700 model) and I am
ready for my weekend of hair rending windows to linux networking - once
I can find a windows 98 seII disc (every time a buy a cheap computer I
have received an oem win98 version I - ie useless for usb work).

I have received some very good advice not to proceed with buying more
kit until I have a complete gear list and a total budget.  So I have
some more research to do.

Graham