Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature

Subject: Re: technology choices for gathering ambient nature
From: "Graham Evans"
Date: Thu May 18, 2006 8:14pm(PDT)
Rob - just a quick clarification - am I right in thinking the MZ-NHF800
is the minimum model number which will do this type of work?   The
MZNH900s seem to be all sold out in oz.

If I pounce quick I could get the first model mentioned for $170AUD each.

and now some more rambling issues:

>One thing to consider is nt1as are bulky, heavy, and extremely
>sensitive to handling and wind vibrations.

Thanks John.  I am listening to your samples now.  For the reasons just
given I would also like to know the experience re AT-3032s with the
PMD670 also.

In your "Meteors" clip did you attempt any form of software noise
removal?  The Robins clip had a much quieter clearer background - very
beautiful - which I expect relates to the relative amounts of gain
required.  Was this one made quieter via software.  It seems to me an
outsanding result.

I am getting persuaded by Rob's view of how I could go about this:

>If you put a HiMD recorder in his/her pocket, a
>lavaliere on their collar and let it record for 7
>hours as they work in the space- it will
>encourage them to listen and think about it.

There is something quite comical about this - a nature recordists way of
taping a human being - but I can see the merit of it as well as the
funny side.  I wonder about how the lavaliere might cope with wind.

I have been studying the charts of HiMD record times:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/himd/index.shtml
So you are recording in high quality ATRAC format to get the 7 hours and
then Sonic Stage turns the file into an editable wav right?

>>  >An alternate solution would be networking a windows computer to my lin=
ux
>>>box but that is something that is going to send me really grey.  I'm not
>>>profficient at networking.  And then again I could return to windows cap
>>>in hand.  But I just can't come at that.  Life is too short and I have
>>>actually begun to enjoy using computers again since 'the switch'
>>
>>Me too. I bought a used $100 PC laptop with
>>windows 98E and 128 ram. I just think of it as a
>>"audio transfer machine" so I can keep my other
>>computing world(s) in order.
>
>Yup. I keep a PC operational just to run software I gotta have that
>won't run on Macs.
>
>-Dan Dugan

just to get down to the fine detail - how do transfer your files across
to your editing machine?

Obviously that isn't difficult thereotically but with big wavs it is
potentially a slow step.  Given that I would be working with 7 hours of
data times 3!  Which makes me wonder your method and workflow for wading
through all that audio material is when you set up your rigs overnight
etc.  But that is something I can research by going through the archives
here I'm sure.

A comfy set of headphones I understand is key.

Anyway thanks everybody.
Graham