Re: magnepan speakers

Subject: Re: magnepan speakers
From: "Robert Heckendorn" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:37:34 -0000
--- In  Gianni Pavan <> wrote:
Hi Gianni,

> I'm willing to know if someone in this forum has the MAGNEPAN MMG

I am a huge fan of magnepan speakers.   I have had several pairs and have f=
riends who
have them.    First about magnepan in general.  Their biggest selling point=
 is presense.   I
can hear the volume of space that the music is played in.  It is fabulous. =
 I have never
decided to buy a peice of audio equipment so fast. People have complained a=
bout the cost
but if you want that feeling of being there, there are few speakers under $=
5000 that will
give you this kind of presense.  I would *highly* recommend them as a liste=
ninng platform
for a room setting.  And I highly recommend them for moving you sonically t=
o that jungle
location or putting you in the field with the elk bugling.

As far as drawbacks.  To get best effect you have to be sitting in a sweet =
spot.  Depending
on the model they have a fair bit of coloring (some may find the highs on t=
hem a bit
strident [not an issue with the MMGs]) but then so do most speakers.  if yo=
u are addicted
to that "being there" feel they are worth it. They are power hungry and lar=
ge.  But again,
they are worth it.  To get good really deep bass response requires either a=
 high quality
(expensive) subwoofer or the larger models.=20

I still remember listening to a pair of magnepan Timpanis about 20 years ag=
o.  It was a
string quartet.  They  were playing on a hard woodfloor while sitting on me=
tal chairs.  I
could hear when they
moved their feet and turned the pages of their music.  It wasn't a dreadful=
 recording, it
was live and they were right there even though they weren't.    It was
impressive.   Those speakers aren't made any more but wow... back to our re=
gularly
scheduled program...

As far as the MMGs specifically.  I have a pair.  They are baby magnepans. =
 They deliver
some of the performance of the bigger maggies including impressive presense=
 for their
size. If you can afford to go with some of the full size maggies do it.  Yo=
u won't be sorry.=20
The MMGs are a great buy however if you can't afford the space or money for=
 bigger ones.=20
I think the question you really have is which maggies to get.  :-)

can you tell I like my speakers.  :-)