Newbie Question

Subject: Newbie Question
From: "john owens" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:26:12 -0500
Hello all

I have been lurking and reading for quite some time and am VERY new at this=
 and have a VERY limited budget. I am forced to use free or inexpensive edi=
ting and analytical software programs where possible.
Additional; I have a full-time "unrelated" job and frequently lecture on th=
e natural systems of my region in Adult and Continuing Education programs. =
So currently I have limited time to record.

My question- I am using an inexpensive Hydrophone, a Sharp Minidisc recorde=
r and a RAdio Shack cassette recorder to record underwater ambient sounds a=
nd fish-songs. I live and record in a sub-tropical region so there is much =
background noise from snapping shrimp. Recently I discovered a group (pod ?=
) of about 12 Manatees in a  brackish water marina and attempted to listen =
and record their songs. I was able to hear them singing in the distance but=
 the songs were overpowerd by the sounds from the snapping shrimp. I have b=
een able to record fish-songs in similar situations (because of the lower f=
requency, I assume).

This is the season when I can expect to find the greatest population of Man=
atees in nearshore waters so I would like to record as much as possible.

Can anyone helps with suggestions on how to overcome this background "noise=
" problem?

If editing may be required I currently have; Goldwave V 4.26, Audacity V 1.=
2.1, Spectrogram V 6.0.9.1 and SeaWAve V 1.0 programs.

Thank you all

JB in the swamps