RE: magnepan speakers

Subject: RE: magnepan speakers
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:33:15 -0600
Hi Gianni,

I'm a bit late on this thread, but I've been using Magnepans for
25 years, and absolutely love them. Currently I use a pair of
biamped MGIIIa's with a Marchand active crossover. Biamping
extended the bass substantially, so that they ALMOST don't need
any subwoofer assistance at all. Sometimes I use a pair of MG1's
for sides on surround, with the Magnepan center channel, but I'm
still reluctant to mix hifi with home theater. The Maggies are,
for me, the best listening-room speakers every built. (Of
course, if you want the bass to flap your pants and blow your
hair back, you need to move air, and phase coherence be damned.)

That said, I would never mix directly to Maggies, because they
are more room-dependent than most speakers, largely because they
are bipolar radiators. It's fine to test a master on them, but
bear in mind that you're really testing the room. Although
that's always the case with any speakers, the way Maggies couple
to the room is very different from high SPL cone-based airpumps,
or from mix-designed nearfield monitors. I generally mix to a
pair of Dick Sequerra (Pyramid) Metronome 7's, which seem to be
immune to any amount of overload. They're augmented by a very
attenuated 15" DBX passive sub. This setup is highly flawed, but
I've learned how most mixes sound through it, and it works for
me.

As several people have pointed out, whatever you use for mixing,
you should probably test the final mix on a representative
variety of systems before settling on a recipe.

Hope this helps,

ac

Allen Cobb
http://timbreproductions.com