Re: FEL mic pre

Subject: Re: FEL mic pre
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:51:20 -0600
At 11:45 PM +0000 11/23/05, Mik Gough wrote:
>Thanks for the replies Volker and Rob,
>I have been in contact with Nick Roast at FEL also.
>I use Sennheiser MKH 30/40 for Soundscape recordings.
>My usual setup is to run the MKH 30/40 in M&S into my SQN IVe and
>then into a recorder.
>As you know, many natural soundscapes need lots of gain and this has
>been my problem.
>
>The SQN IVe quotes the following specs :-
>The
>
>Sensitivity  -78dBu for nominal line level (PPM4, 0VU) with the
>channel gain at maximum and the master gain at 0dB.
>Mic Inputs - Max level -20dBu (+4dBu with full attenuation)
>Noise Figure - 130dBu (A weighted) from a 200 Ohm source.
>
>Sennheiser MKH 30 -  Self Noise (CCIR) 22dB, (DIN/IEC) 13dB-A
>
>Sennheiser MKH 40 -  Self Noise (CCIR) 21dB, (DIN/IEC) 12dB-A
>

>In my normal work as a Broadcast Sound Recordist/Mixer, the SQN works
>extremely well, however, it seems to be the major source of noise
>when recording quiet soundscapes.

I need help with translating any of the specs
supplied into the amount of mic pre gain the SQN
IVe gives you to work with. Noise performance or
EIN of 130dBu (A weighted) should be acceptable.
Are you having trouble getting sufficient sound
file saturation in quiet settings with these mics
and using full gain?

So you're thinking of putting the FELs between
the MKH's and the SQN IVe with the idea of
pre-amplifying the mic signal and using a lower
record setting on the SQN IVe,..  Seems like the
SQN IVe's pres would have to have a lot of
headroom to net more than a few dB's. The mkh's
are pretty sensitive. What recorder?

>The FEL MB-1S seems an interesting method of getting a better signal
>to noise  ratio for quiet recordings.

Seems like the SQN IVe's s-n would still be the
limiting factor, you'd just be gambling that the
SQN IVe has proportionally less noise at a lower
gain setting. Rob D.