Re: FEL mic pre

Subject: Re: FEL mic pre
From: "Mik Gough" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:45:18 -0000
Thanks for the replies Volker and Rob,
I have been in contact with Nick Roast at FEL also.
I use Sennheiser MKH 30/40 for Soundscape recordings.
My usual setup is to run the MKH 30/40 in M&S into my SQN IVe and
then into a recorder.
As you know, many natural soundscapes need lots of gain and this has
been my problem.

The SQN IVe quotes the following specs :-
http://www.sqn.co.uk/old/e4s/4Sespec.html

Sensitivity  -78dBu for nominal line level (PPM4, 0VU) with the
channel gain at maximum and the master gain at 0dB.
Mic Inputs - Max level -20dBu (+4dBu with full attenuation)
Noise Figure - 130dBu (A weighted) from a 200 Ohm source.

Sennheiser MKH 30 -  Self Noise (CCIR) 22dB, (DIN/IEC) 13dB-A

Sennheiser MKH 40 -  Self Noise (CCIR) 21dB, (DIN/IEC) 12dB-A

In my normal work as a Broadcast Sound Recordist/Mixer, the SQN works
extremely well, however, it seems to be the major source of noise
when recording quiet soundscapes.

The FEL MB-1S seems an interesting method of getting a better signal
to noise  ratio for quiet recordings. I may be being overoptimistic
but that's where your personal experiences come in=85
I will have to try one out before I will really know.