Re: low voltage DC phantom (was new firmware for M-Audio Microtrac=

Subject: Re: low voltage DC phantom (was new firmware for M-Audio Microtrac=
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:22:08 +0100
k 2496

Yes, you are right in a way - Sennheiser made their own power supplies etc.=

To make a good power supply is difficult.
But with new IC's, it is easy to make a lot of shortcuts. Then you can also=

make a cheap power supply, with uncertain reliability.
However, my old Tascam DA-P1 has such a simplified power supply and it has=

never caused any problems...?

Klas.

At 04:47 2005-11-23, you wrote:
> >According to my friend it is more or less by chance all the time if a po=
wer

> >device works or not. He says that all modern IC-circuit for the purpose
> >have a tendency to drift away in frequency. In his experience only one o=
> >them work under all circumstances, stable and pure. In his opinion, the
> >Rolls is a very conventional and thereby unreliable device. ... if it
> >works, it works... kind of.
>
> >Klas.
>
> >Does the phantom power supply he's designed produce less noise? Are
> >you free to tell us more? Is it portable? What operating voltage?
>
> >Rob D.
>

>Hi Klas,
>

>Isn't what you are getting at is that the Rolls might accidentally coincid=
>with the correct powering voltages on some microphones?
>

>That to be certain that you are providing the correct voltages the
>manufacturer would be wise to supply the mic with the correct phantom powe=
>unit, just as Neumann has always done?
>

>By saying if the Rolls works, it works by chance? and should not be
>considered unless there is evidence providing it's powering that microphon=
>model accurately?
>

>Best,
>

>Mark

>"Microphones are not ears,