Re: Re: mic check

Subject: Re: Re: mic check
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:58:44 +0200
At 20:59 2005-08-30, you wrote:
>Klas, you wrote,
>
> >The Shure mic can be good, (same category as EM23)
> >or a disaster. It's impossible to tell before you have tried it.
>
>What situations have been disasters? I've certainly run into its
>limitations, places so quiet that the mic's self-noise is too
>prominent, but all products have limitations. I intend to buy the
>quietest mics I can find, eventually, since I like to record quiet
>places.

Well, then you have tried it and know. That's what I mean. I never excluded=

what you say.

Disaster?? A lot self noise and sensitive to humidity. Even if electrets
are reliable, I have met such "disasters".
Almost every month I get offers from China to get samples of "their new
fantastic electret". I gladly do that, and some capsules have been really
nicely designed. Still disasters, as they don't work.
The Primo EM23 capsule is still the by far best, compared with more than 50=

other similar capsules. It is also the most expensive. I run it with other=

electronics than Primo, though.

> >How is the Shure mic powered?? It only says that it is going to be
> >connected to a "wireless". Does that mean any "wireless" or does it mean=
> >"wireless" which provides some voltage, to drive a Shure mic. I am not
> >familiar with such matters.
>
>It's PIP like any other electret.

Do you know if Shure manufactures the capsules themselves, or buy them from=

China?

Klas.