Re: new recorder - mic pre factors

Subject: Re: new recorder - mic pre factors
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:20:55 -0000
--- In  "jan.larsson" <> wrote:

> I am not sure what your point is (more than some discussion why you=20
> are satisfied what you have but at the same time would buy more=20
> expensive gear if you could afford it).

Note Rob buys for a University and as such he has a full assortment of
needs.

> While I have not measured the Sony MD model Rob is discussing I did=20
> at one time put my old HP Audio Analyzer and some other tools to good =

> use measuring a few other consumer MD:s in hope I could use them=20
> instead of some heavier recorder. And there is a big difference. Not=20
> so much noise level as in various forms of distortion that is=20
> especially apparent when you feed in short stereo bursts (probably=20
> the powersupply lines in a consumer MD is not stiff enough - or its a =

> multo-op-amp chip sharing a single supply-source) and I also looked=20
> at the noise characteristic of some key components in the circuits=20
> (which usually end up matching the actual sonic character og the=20
> preamp pretty well).

We would like to look at the info as you will find many examples in
our archives that are establishing you can get the full sonic
character with consumer Minidiscs and quality low noise mics.

> Now this may not be important at all when you want to record a=20
> specific object with a highly directional mic. Noise matters more=20
> than anything and you are not listening to the end result in a way=20
> (and on replay equipment) that you would notice most of the=20
> shortcomings.
>
> But in other types of recording capturing as much as possible of the=20
> beauty and impact of a natural soundscape makes a real diff. And here =

> you probably need any help good quality equipment may give you.

This is a preconception we are finding ways around.

> The internet is always so full of opinions and "advice".=20
> Fieldrecordings are made for different purposes and with different=20
> scope and one simply cannot generalize equipment advice like often=20
> done ... there is no perfect (or "best") mic, pre or recorder on the=20
> market - you simply have to balance your choice to your own personal=20
> preferences, budget and demand. You cannot always rely on the=20
> equipment choice of others - I have heard some really fascinating=20
> fieldrecordings made on portable analog audio cassette recorders, but =

> that does not make me rush out looking to buy one.

Rich Peet