Re: new recorder - mic pre factors

Subject: Re: new recorder - mic pre factors
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:48:29 -0500
In terms of specifications, apparently and happily, yes. The 722 is
pretty much near the very top of low noise standards I've come
across. I want to make sure people understand the complications.
Hooking a mic up to a chip pre circuit with PIP and getting that
performance seems to have been another matter. Until we had the
phantom supplies that could deal with it (at least the tested Sony
PIP pres), condenser mic performance was inconsistent with factory
specs with several mics I tested. There was more noise, less output
etc. You probably can't download the 4.5mb quicktime movie test, but,
interestingly, our friend, the Rode NT-4, regained the 14dB loss in
output when used on the phantom supply compared to plugged directly
into the HiMD mic pre. Maybe all PIP pre circuits are close enough in
design that the phantom supplies will work on all of them. That would
be great news. If not, the clues will add up and we'll be able to
predict performance better than we can now. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department