Re: soundscape protection

Subject: Re: soundscape protection
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:01:32 -0700
Here's a list from which we have soundscape
measurements, Gianni. Sometimes with noise as a
factor, sometimes not. From 1968, when I began
recording, anthrophony (human noise) has become
more of a factor, rising exponentially
year-by-year. Recording whole habitats (biophony
and geophony), in 1968, it used to take about 15
hours to get one hour of usable material. Now,
the ratio is more like 2000:1. Two factors: Noise
and loss of habitat.

A.      Africa
                     (1)  Kenya
                     (2)  Rwanda
                     (3)  Tanzania
            (4)  Madagascar
            (5)  Central African Republic (Dzanga/Tsanga Rainforest)
            (6)  Zimbabwe
B.      S. E. Asia
            (1)  Borneo
            (2)  Sumatra
C.      Fiji (Vanua Levu marine and terrestrial biomes)
D.      New Zealand (South Island marine and terrestrial biomes)
E.      Australia (rainforest region N of Daintree)
F.      Latin America
            (1)  Brazil
                a. Amazon basin
                b. Marajo Island
                c. Paraque Forestal (Rio Doce)
                d. Caratinga Montes Claros
                e. Ducke Reserve
                f. KM 41 research site
            (2) Ecuador
                a. Galapagos Islands (various
island sites marine & terrestrial)
                b. Ali=F1ahui (Rio Napo region)
            (3) Peru
                a. Iquitos region and rainforest environs
G.      Central America
            (1)  Costa Rica
                a. Cloud forest
                b. Osa Peninsula
H.      North America
            (1) Canada
                a. Vancouver Island (marine)
                     (2) Western US
                a. California
                b. Idaho
                c.  Nevada
                d. Utah
                e. Arizona
                f.  N. Mexico
                g. Texas
                h. Oregon
                i.  Washington
                j.  Montana
                k. Wyoming
            (3) Eastern US
                a. Georgia
                 b. S. Carolina
                c. Florida
                     (4) Alaska
                 a.  S. E. (in and around Glacier Bay region)
                 b. Yukon Delta
I.      Hawaii
            (1)  Marine environments (humpbacks off Maui)
            (2)  Terrestrial (Big Island)
J.      Caribbean
            (1)  St. Maarten
K.      Antarctica
L.      Azores (Portugal)

Bernie

>hi all,
>          here in Italy we are trying to promote the soundscape
>concept and we are working with (few) parks to promote measuring
>background noise and acoustic biodiversity in their natural habitats
>and to use those measures as a quality score. In one park we obtained
>to include bioacoustics in the management plans, but very scarce
>money is avalaible to support our project.
>
>Now I'm willing to know if background noise measures are available
>for natural habitats in other places of the world.
>Have you any information on this topic ? Bernie ?
>
>Gianni
>

>At 05.22 27/07/2005, you wrote:
>>I was surprized and delighted to read the following on a web site that
>>promotes responsible off-road vehicle use:
>>
>>"Protect the soundscape by avoiding unnecessary noise created by your
>>vehicle"
>>
>><http://www.treadlightly.org/images/education/4x4layout.pdf>http://www.tr=
eadlightly.org/images/education/4x4layout.pdf

>>Setting aside the fractured English of this sentence, and the notion
>>that any off-road vehicle use could be responsible...I was very
>>pleased to find the soundscape idea used in a mainstream document.
>>
>>Kudos to Bernie Krause and others who are working diligently to
>>promote this idea.  Your efforts are paying dividends!
>>
>>--oryoki
>>

>>"Microphones are not ears,
>>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>>A listening room is not nature."
>>Klas Strandberg

&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DS=
cience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DwC7FY9XfJGn6Hl50v-X4=
fw>Natural
>>sound
>><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DRecording+technique&w1=3DNatural=
+sound&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&=
w5=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DcF16ChvZS0ZZ5c=
uvA1UZ1A>Recording
>>technique
>><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DComputer+science&w1=3DNatural+so=
und&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3D64wM8rCZIQIu2Usa=
R-O_9w>Computer
>  >science
>><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DPopular+science&w1=3DNatural+sou=
nd&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DPBFgubjkbh_8XFIi=
Z7GAmA>Popular
>>science
>><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+education&w1=3DNatural+s=
ound&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DtGH8iUZVW4wGFZT-=
il3vvw>Science
>>education
>><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+job&w1=3DNatural+sound&w=
2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DSci=
ence+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3Dv6eAHhRAFRhaj6BDtihM2g=
>Science
>>job

>>     *
>>
>><=3DUnsubscrib=