new recorder - mic pre factors

Subject: new recorder - mic pre factors
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:39:34 -0500
At 7:44 PM +0200 7/27/05, jan.larsson wrote:
>I am not sure what your point is (more than some discussion why you=A0
>are satisfied what you have but at the same time would buy more=A0
>expensive gear if you could afford it).
>
>While I have not measured the Sony MD model Rob is discussing I did=A0
>at one time put my old HP Audio Analyzer and some other tools to good=A0
>use measuring a few other consumer MD:s in hope I could use them=A0
>instead of some heavier recorder. And there is a big difference. Not=A0
>so much noise level as in various forms of distortion that is=A0
>especially apparent when you feed in short stereo bursts (probably=A0
>the powersupply lines in a consumer MD is not stiff enough - or its a=A0
>multo-op-amp chip sharing a single supply-source) and I also looked=A0
>at the noise characteristic of some key components in the circuits=A0
>(which usually end up matching the actual sonic character og the
>preamp pretty well).

I'm curious how you measured the performance of
your MD recorder-- with a mic or a resistor load
or?  We couldn't get an idea of the actual noise
performance of the HiMD's pre with a mic until we
found a way to get one powered compatibilty. Do
you think there's a chance your MD pre was being
compromised as ours was in most of the earlier
testing? Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department