Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence

Subject: Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:49:03 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> Sorry, I'm having diificulty picking out the sound quality to fit
> your description in the first 7 minutes. Maybe if we both refer to
> one short, uncompressed clip?  Here's a 16/48K aif with two excerpts.
>
> (1) section with lowest presence I could find  (from section
> represented by the 7 minute, mp3 clip you have).
>
> (2) section from 20 minutes in where the right mic is breaking up.
> The sound I'm referring to is pretty apparent, but there's prominence
> ~ 400Hz.
>
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Temporary/7723EQ2_Pres3m_BreakUp20m.aif
> (1.4mb)

Here's the Spark XL sonograms of the two mics:
http://gruagach.home.mindspring.com/Left.pdf
http://gruagach.home.mindspring.com/Right.pdf

The dividing line between the two clips is visible so you can compare.

I believe the sharp spikes may be what you are calling the mic breaking
up. And they could be. But were not what I'm talking about.

I'm looking at all those bands of sound that make up the background of
this recording. Note there are bands from 20hz up to 12khz or so. The
bands are solid and unvarying, or not varying much. Those below 300hz
are the background rumble that I assumed was a freeway, some distant
large engine or such like. But the rest don't sound like any sound the
site may have had. They are not insect calls, for instance. My
description of crackly applies to them. I'm curious as to the source of
this.

You have a recorder that's not supposed to do things like this. And
describe the Rode's as being so clear. So, where's the hash coming from?
When I first played the recording, I, of course, listened for frogs.
Having the distant frogs masked so badly became evident quickly.

Note after the 3.8 sec mark, the sonogram of the "pickerel" call in the
Left mic.

Note also, when dissecting a recording, I use my Sony MDR-V900
headphones. They are closed phones so keep down the distractions of the
room ambiance. And I find their sound reproduction highly accurate. I
can hear the sound in question in speakers as well, but details like
this are much easier to hear and evaluate with headphones.