Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence

Subject: Re: Rode NT1-A's Night Sequence
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:24:09 -0400
>  From: Rob Danielson <>
>
>>>  >  From: Rob Danielson <>
>>>

> <snip>
>
>>>  >>>  Think about what would be appropriate for the

>>>I ask you to start thinking along these lines, you are becoming a person
>>>who's pronouncements cause others to go out and buy mics. Often without
>>>thinking about their own needs. It would be nice if folks would take
>>>what each of us says in context with what sort of emphasis we have, and
>>>make their own analysis. But, in general, they don't.
>

> Don't you think this list does a pretty commendable job encouraging
> people to consider a lot of factors when making mic and rig choices?
> When I think about the choices being proposed three years ago on the
> list, its much improved. There's a mich wider set of skills and
> experiences which I think is good.  What remains really solid about
> this list is the number accumulated hours in the field.

However, I was referring to the beginners. Those who come in looking to
buy equipment who have little or no experience. And how they behave.

My own view of the list is it's moving away from nature recording. Far
too many tests and test samples are not nature recording subjects. Much
more studio stuff has entered in. If this is what you mean by a wider
set of skills, then I agree it's changed.

> After making many bad equipment choices, I finally decided it was
> silly to rely on people's words, advertisements and reviews bearing
> little relevance. Its not that hard to put the gear side by side and
> hear for oneself what is actually happening.  I'll keep trying to
> make the tests better and relevant to the questions we pose, tangible
> stuff.  Opinions will always influence some people more than putting
> in the time to listen and evaluate.  Its probably not the best
> investment of my time to try to address this. Rob D.

I always try and keep in the back of my mind that what I say can result
in someone rushing out and buying something. Fitting my preferences in
nature recording, not necessarily theirs. It is important to me that
those starting out in nature recording have good experiences as a result
of what I say.