Rode & Senn M-S Report

Subject: Rode & Senn M-S Report
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:29:39 -0500
Rode and Full Compass were kind enough to send me a NT2-A to test for
M-S stereo imaging and noise performance along side my MKH 40/30
pair.   The NT2-A is a variable pattern mic including Figure 8. I
used the fig 8 with a wide cardioid Rode NT1-A for my Rode M-S pair.
This pair runs ~$600 new.

I didn't have time to get out to the country so I did the test in my
backyard at 1 am. It was calm and pretty quiet for the city. The only
close, ambient sound is a window air conditioner about 90 yards away
located 3/4 left.

The QuickTime movie is 5.1mb:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/Rode&SennMSCompareIMA.mov

The first test looks at the stereo imaging or localization abilities
of the two rigs. The mic pairs were not placed on top of each like
they should b ideally,..but rather side by side about 2 feet apart.
The sound source positions are 20 feet away.  The main thing I'm
interested in here is whether you can accurately tell where the sound
is coming from. Differences in voice levels can be attributed,
partially, to the horizontal spread between the mics. I experimented
with the M-S matrix variables for some time before choosing settings
for both pairs that maximized the localization performance. This was
tricky. For example, I found that I had to run the Mid level higher
with the Rode pair to create sufficient Left/Right separation
(through  phase cancellation).

The next two tests are combination acoustic space, motion and noise
tests. Note that the preamp gain is set to maximum-- so the "reach"
into space and the tax on noise performance are at the maximum.  I
recorded the two pairs at the same time with my 744T recorder.

I repeated my announced position in the first test, once for each
mic. But the second and third tests are the exact same events through
the different mics.  The Rodes were run through an MP-2 external
preamp (which I tested before and found to be a very close match to
the 744's internal pre). No EQ. Playback levels matched in post.

I have some observations of course, but I'll let your ears be the
judge for now. Rob D.