Re: Rode & Senn M-S Report

Subject: Re: Rode & Senn M-S Report
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 00:50:36 -0500
At 10:18 PM -0700 7/8/05, Tim Nielsen wrote:
>Interesting. Rob, and I think a fair test for spacialization,=A0
>although I wonder if the Rode's would have performed better were they=A0
>coincident. You can hear the outer positions seem more washy on the=A0
>Rode, and I think that's mainly because of the separation between the=A0
>mics. MS is really a coincident micing technique, and I guess I'd=A0
>have to argue you can't trust what you're hearing if the mics are two=A0
>feet apart, you're not comparing two MS rigs, you're comparing one=A0
>true MS rig, and a pseudo MS rig. Especially at 20 feet to the=A0
>source, 2 feet is a fairly large space. Also, for me, one of the=A0
>great things about MS is that it's mono compatible, but not if the
>mics are two feet apart.

No, not nitpicking at all. Sorry I was not clear.
The two mics making up each pair are as close as
possible and carefully aligned. So, both rigs are
perfectly coincident. Any oddness in the stereo
imagery is not from anything I know how to
improve upon or fix.  What I was trying to write
was I wanted to put both PAIRS right on top of
each other so the sound source to mic distance
would be the same for both pairs. (I have no
outdoor lights and I couldn't get the aluminum
ladder out without waking up the hood.)

>Again, just nitpicking, it's a great experiment.
>
>But the Rode's sound pretty good for 1/5th the price or so of the
>Senn's.
>
>I did take my newly arrived NT1A's outside yesterday and recorded a=A0
>test between them, my Schoeps MK2 Omni's, and the Earthworks QTC1
>omnis (on loan). I put the NT1A's about 3 feet apart pointing out
>about 90 degrees, just as a guess.
>
>They sounded OK, but the Schoeps sounded the best I thought=A0
>(although, omni to cardiord, not a fair test). The NT1A's were=A0
>certainly more 'directional' in the stereo image (as would be expected).
>
>Wondering how most people using NT1A's are arranging them, are you
>doing XY, or spaced ORTF, something like that?

Theres's stuff in the archive about this. It
depends on several factors but closer to an angle
of 60 degrees spread about 12" gives a pretty
uniform 120 degree field. I asked the Rode rep
about the angle for distant subjects and he
agreed that 90 is too wide. On the other hand,
you can use their treble centric properties to
really isolate two sources well if they have Hi
Hz relief with surrounding sounds.

>The Earthworks sounded just plain bad. Very hissy compared to the=A0
>others, and the image was boring and uninspiring. I think the=A0
>Earthworks are nice drum mics, maybe orchestral, but too noisy for=A0
>nature sound.
>
>I guess I'm still a Schoeps guy at heart.

  Noise wise too? I'd love to hear a test! Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department