Re: Rode & Senn M-S Report

Subject: Re: Rode & Senn M-S Report
From: Tim Nielsen <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 07:58:11 -0700
AH! Makes sense, I was wondering why the two Rode's would have to be=20
two feet apart :)

I returned the Earthworks to the guy who loaded them to me, but I'm=20
planning on doing a test at some point with the following rigs:

Schoeps MS rig with an MK41 Hyper center, MK8 side
Sennheiser MKH30/40 MS Rig
Neumann RSM191 MS Mic
Sanken CSM9 MS Mic
Neumann 100 MS setup

Scheops CMC XY Setup
Neuman KM184 XY Setup

These are all the rigs I have access to, and I think I can scrounge=20
up enough 722's to record all the setups simultaneous, with identical=20
settings. Should be interesting, but not sure when I'll get around to=20
coordinating everyones rigs for a day to do it.

But it would be a good test of coincident stereo.

I've already done such a test with the Neumann 100MS rig, and found=20
it be a VERY close match to the Schoeps. The neumann's were a tad=20
more detailed, the Schoeps a tad warmer. Giving the Schoeps about 7db=20
of gain, and high wide boost of about 3dB at 10k or so made them=20
almost an identical match. My Schoeps rig though has a hyper-cardiod=20
center, which made the stereo image more focused in the middle, so it=20
picked up slightly different sound. But the Neumann's are great mics,=20
although some people I know who have them are having lots of RF=20
interference problems where other mics don't seem to.

Tim