Re: Death Valley Dawn

Subject: Re: Death Valley Dawn
From: Kevin J. Colver <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:37:24 -0700
Walt,

Here's my take on the birds:

C1  Black-throated Sparrow, Ash-throated flycatcher dawn song, distant
Rock Wren, ?Raven flyby
C2  House Finch song, Black-throated Sparrow song, Mourning Dove, Rock
Wren in distance, crickets
C3  Black-throated Sparrow, Mourning Dove, House Finch calls of group
or flock, Brown-headed Cowbird in distance
C4  many House Finch calls, Mourning Dove, distant Say's Phoebe
C5  House Finch calls again, distant Say's Phoebe, Black-throated
Sparrow, Mourning Dove.

Always fun to give it a shot, thank you for sharing your sounds!

Kevin Colver

On Thursday, July 7, 2005, at 01:03 PM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> From my spring trip out west. On April 25 I recorded at a mining pit on
> Warm Springs Canyon Road, a 4x4 road that climbs west out of the
> valley,
> mostly up a rocky wash. The abandoned mining pit was about 100 yards
> across, and had a small pond of water in it, so I camped there, setting
> up the SASS/MKH-20 on the edge of the pit in the evening, about 100'
> from the truck. I did not use my tall tower as I felt it was not safe
> in
> the breeze on the edge of the drop-off, so I used my photo tripod.
> There
> were no night sounds worth recording. In the morning, starting at 5:20
> AM I recorded the activity, laying in bed with headphones on. I
> recorded
> a entire 80 min minidisc in 4 - 20 minute segments over the next two
> hours. Recorder is my HHb Portadisc.
>
> Photos:
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/Mining_Pit-1.jpg
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/Mining_Pit-2.jpg
> Sound Clips in order by time:
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2005-W4-001-C1.mp3
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2005-W4-001-C2.mp3
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2005-W4-002-C3.mp3
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2005-W4-003-C4.mp3
> http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/2005-W4-004-C5.mp3
>
> Note this is all natural noise, except for the very distant rock drill
> in the last couple clips. There was a brisk breeze, the mic was
> somewhat
> protected in it's location, but there is quite a bit of noise from the
> breeze. Because of all the large rock surfaces, there is a fair amount
> of echo too. The place sounded like it recorded. The size of the pit
> was
> a reach for the SASS, but it's wide coverage was valuable.
>
> I'll not pretend to know all the calls, and any ID's would be
> appreciated. So much for Death Valley being a lifeless place.
>
> Walt
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."
> Klas Strandberg

<image.tiff>

> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
> +     =A0Visit your group "naturerecordists" on the web.
> =A0
> +     =A0To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> =
> =A0
> +     =A0Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<image.tiff>