Re: Death Valley Dawn

Subject: Re: Death Valley Dawn
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:32:57 -0400
From: "Antonio Celis Murillo" <>

> Hi Kevin, Walt,
>
> I just listened the Death Valley clips and I heard a hummingbird around
> walt's
> recording site (wing beating in clip 2 at first 15 seconds and I think in
> clip 3
> too). Kevin, do you think is possible for the hummingbird (passing at high-
> speed) to make that sound?
>
> I don't know. I'm just asking because I detect him around.

Note in C2 you can also hear the hummingbird vocalizing.

Yes there were a number of hummingbirds recorded, the clips I put up
don't contain the loudest recordings. All were just cruising around, not
high speed passages.

Also when I was packing up I was visited twice by hummers investigating
the multicolored sack that hangs in my canopy to put my glasses, keys
and such like in when I sleep. I did not get a good enough look at them
to give species.

> Otherwise, I don't think it was a raven but, maybe a raptor not seen?

As I noted I was watching. No larger bird, not a raptor. There had been
another similar loud passage a little over a minute before, so I was
looking. I was expecting a raptor. But it's worth noting that all the
small birds around went on with their business, I'd think a raptor would
have caused more notice in their calls.