Re: Re: Death Valley Dawn

Subject: Re: Re: Death Valley Dawn
From: Kevin J. Colver <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:05:13 -0700
Walt,
I replied to Rich before reading this post.  If a small bird flew close
enough to the mic it could have sounded like a flying dinosaur going by.

I believe the croaking sound you refer to was the pre-dawn song of
Ash-throated Flycatcher usually heard in the 30-60 minutes before
sunrise in the spring.  Unfortunately the sound posted on enature.com
doesn't reflect this but a fair example is on my Stokes Guide to
Western Bird Songs.  I have other longer versions in my personal
collection.

Kevin

On Saturday, July 9, 2005, at 04:15 PM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> From: Kevin J. Colver <>
>

> > Walt,
> >
> > Here's my take on the birds:
> >
> > C1=A0 Black-throated Sparrow, Ash-throated flycatcher dawn song,
> distant
> > Rock Wren, ?Raven flyby
> > C2=A0 House Finch song, Black-throated Sparrow song, Mourning Dove,
> Rock
> > Wren in distance, crickets
> > C3=A0 Black-throated Sparrow, Mourning Dove, House Finch calls of group
> > or flock, Brown-headed Cowbird in distance
> > C4=A0 many House Finch calls, Mourning Dove, distant Say's Phoebe
> > C5=A0 House Finch calls again, distant Say's Phoebe, Black-throated
> > Sparrow, Mourning Dove.
>
> Thanks lots. Just a few things.
>
> I happened to be looking in the direction of the SASS when that flyby
> occurred. There were lots of flyby sounds, but only a couple were that
> loud. There were just smaller birds in the mix, I did not catch what
> bird made the sound, but think sparrow size or not much bigger. Not a
> Raven for sure. Obviously someone in a hurry to be first in line at the
> water...
>
> The area is abandoned as far as the mines. From the condition of things
> I'd say it's a long time ago. It's essentially wild country now, though
> disturbed in the past, and a very long ways to any buildings or such.
> As
> you can see in the photos it's also treeless and rocky. With that in
> mind, what are all the House Finches doing? I did not see any of them
> in
> the birds I saw in the area. There were lots of birds around.
>
> In the C1 clip there are a few calls that sound kind of frog/toad like.
> Not something I know. They are single calls, and were only given for
> about the first half hour of my recording session.
>
> > Always fun to give it a shot, thank you for sharing your sounds!
>
> I'll have some more from other places soon.
>
> Walt
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,
> A listening room is not nature."
> Klas Strandberg

<image.tiff>

> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
> +     =A0Visit your group "naturerecordists" on the web.
> =A0
> +     =A0To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> =
> =A0
> +     =A0Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<image.tiff>