Re: Death Valley Dawn

Subject: Re: Death Valley Dawn
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:24:20 -0400
>    From: Kevin J. Colver <>
> Subject: Re: Re: Death Valley Dawn
>
> Walt,
> I replied to Rich before reading this post.  If a small bird flew close
> enough to the mic it could have sounded like a flying dinosaur going by.

Listen to the passage of the flock of small birds near the beginning of
C3, there's a whole bunch of quieter wing sound that's similar to the
loud one.

One could make a whole study of different wing sounds, though I think
the chances of identifying species that way are slim.

> I believe the croaking sound you refer to was the pre-dawn song of
> Ash-throated Flycatcher usually heard in the 30-60 minutes before
> sunrise in the spring.  Unfortunately the sound posted on enature.com
> doesn't reflect this but a fair example is on my Stokes Guide to
> Western Bird Songs.  I have other longer versions in my personal
> collection.

Unfortunately I only have Stokes Eastern, which does not have the
species. I did do a search of the internet and found a dozen or so
recordings. None resemble what I'm talking about. All the examples I
found a sonogram reveals the call to be strongest around 3khz, and such
a call does occur in my recording frequently.

The call I'm noting is shorter, and at 2khz. In C1 the best ones are at
23, 34, 51, & 58 seconds roughly.