Re: Lake Delancy

Subject: Re: Lake Delancy
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:33:29 -0400
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

> Walt You wrote....
>
> <Glad to see you are getting some use out of the SASS.>
>
> I love it Walt and it's one of the first things packed into my bag

Mine is certainly getting used plenty.

> <Pig Frogs (the spit call is theirs too, their territorial warning),
> Southern Leopard Frogs, Southern Cricket Frogs. In the background towards
> the end there are distant Barking Treefrogs. And I think I heard one call
> from a Little Grass Frog, but not sure on that one.>
>
> It is always nice to know what else you have recorded; I would never have
> thought there were so many different species of frogs out there! Is that
> normal all in one pond/lake/area?

Georgia has 31 species of frogs that have to be somewhere. Florida is
not far behind. Yep, pretty normal.

Most I've recorded, in the survey work, was 8 species. Where you use a
parabolic just to bring out each species from the general din.

Average is 4 or so. It's actually harder to find single species water.

At my place tonight: Bullfrog, Cope's Gray Treefrogs, Spring Peepers,
American Toads, Green Frog, Upland Chorus Frog, and a couple bits from
the Southern Leopards.

The spot you recorded had fish. Far more frogs are to be found in
fishless waters.

> < What's the other call at about 50 seconds behind the Limpkin?>
>
> I think it is a Gallinule of some kind? I have been looking for similar
> sounds and I know they are around there somewhere?

How about a Rail? I'm not too good with birds.

> <Can't say I've heard limpkin all that much, certainly not in combo with =
the
> frogs.>
>
> They make a bloody good cabaret show though don't you think!!!

Fun Call