Re: Marantz 660

Subject: Re: Marantz 660
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:20:13 -0500
From: "John Hartog" <>

>>> I hate to say I told you so, but that was one of the first negatives
>>> I pointed out for CF recorders. I was told that the cards would >
>>> be dirt cheap. Pretty expensive dirt.
>

> Yes Walt, you told us so, but I don't believe you hate to tell us: I
> think you love it - indeed you thrive on it.=20
> Had I discovered this group prior to purchasing my cf recorder, I
> might have heeded your warnings.  Oh well, I can make do with
> what I have for now.  The PMD 670 is ok, and there's a lot I like
> about it.  It's just that after adding up what I have spent on cf
> cards, I could have gone up another step in component quality.=20
> Even with cost of cf cards at a quarter of what they were a year
> ago, they still are not dirt cheap.=20
> -John Hartog

I caught a lot of flack on that very issue, so, in a sense I'm enjoying
it a bit. They were less warnings than pointing out a feature of the
recorders that seemed to be ignored. I'd already been through it with my
RD-175.

I'm in the same boat with the camera, but I knew going in that the price
of the camera included a set of cards. What's worse is that I had to do
the same thing with the RD-175, but the cards are different, it used
Type III PCMCIA mini hard disks. I've got a handful of those now with
little use for them.

The neat thing was to discover that the Minolta card reader I had for
the Type III's is now a sought after item as it's been discovered it's
just about the fastest card reader around. You have to get a cheap
adapter card, but being SCSI it's fast. And I've got two of those
readers. Which, of course, are long out of production. So, new camera,
plug it's card into the same place on the computer.

One way or another this game costs money. There are more expensive
hobbies, however. Price a top of the line telephoto for my camera for
instance. You could buy the 722, a couple of MKH, and have a lot left
over. Needless to say I'm not going that high in lenses.

Any of these modern recorders is way better than what I had around when
I first got into recording back in the '50s. They are, in fact, quite
unbelievable if we transplanted one back there. I read about how early
nature recording was done, as well as actually having used some of the
equipment, we are definitely spoiled.