Re: zep report (w/pix)

Subject: Re: zep report (w/pix)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:41:35 -0500
From: Ken  Durling <>

> I had thought of this and was wishing for one of those old Mattel
> vacuformers.  Do you have any suggestions for temp/time?

It will mold very reluctantly at boiling water temperature. I'm guessing
50-100 degrees above that, but have not got around to trying it.

The mold I made was initially a 3" PVC pipe cap machined to a more
rounded shape. It was hard to hold the hot plastic against it, so I
machined another PVC pipe fitting to be the outside. Put a flat,
circular piece on the inside, push the outside ring down around it and
let it cool. With a little more fumbling as to temperature it should go
pretty good. I was experimenting with boiling water temperatures.

>>>The other way would be the latchook mesh which could be molded while wet
>>>then painted with enough paint to make it stiff enough.
>

> Michael's I went to didn't seem to know about this.  I'll keep looking.

I know that Joann's has it if you have that store around. Not sure I've
seen it in Michael's.

I did a quick google, look at the Latch Hook Backing shown on this page,
that's what I'm talking about:
http://www.halcyonyarn.com/rughooking.html
I just searched on rug hooking, probably a bunch of what turned up have
the material.

> I'm still hoping for a 4" plastic strainer or something.

It would have to be pretty coarse. Unfortunately the plastic canvas egg
and sphere are too small.

> The clamp on top is definitely temporary.  I was thinking the two
> embroidery hoop clamps on the bottom would stay, that the fabric cover
> could be made to have a slot at the bottom, or possibly be two-part, top=

> and bottom.

Commercial fur covers are generally slit along the bottom and maybe a
couple back slits so they can be slipped on. Zippers or snaps are
generally used to close them.

> One thing I noticed in the Rycote zepp is that the fabric screen is
> *inside* of the coarser mesh.  Does it matter?  Does the coarse mesh
> (plastic canvas in my case) being on the outside provide any advantage,
> turbulence wise?  I'm just comparing this option to what I've seen more
> often mentioned here, which puts a layer of nylon on the outside of the
> coarse mesh zepp structure rather than inside of it like the Rycote.  Thi=
> could also make a difference concerning the inconvenience of the protrudi=
ng
> clamps.

The Sennheiser zepp has it's fine material on the outside. I'm not sure
it makes a lot of difference. Rycote's lining material would wear out
fairly fast if it was outside, Sennheiser is using a extremely fine, but
strong mesh.