Re: zep report (w/pix)

Subject: Re: zep report (w/pix)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:21:06 -0500
From: Ken  Durling <>

> I just posted 3  photographs of one of the in-progress zepps.  I'd be
> grateful for any feedback.  Or just laugh at it if you want.    Bear in
> mind I'm just trying to optimize the mics I now have.

It's looking pretty good so far. That plastic canvas sure makes it look
nice. I'd not thought of embroidery hoops, good idea.

> The main structure is 7 pitch "plastic canvas" from Michael's; supported =
by
> being cinched between two 4" plastic embroidery hoops, connected by a 3/8=
"
> sq spruce spar, to which is also attached the mic suspension.  This is a=

> pretty cool locally made shock mount -  $36 ea - that just uses two sets =
of
> parallel  1/4" bungee cord - you have to cross it when you mount the
> mics.  But as you can see it works pretty well in the zeppelin - I think!

You can also make that suspension yourself out of PVC pipe, there are
numerous variations.

> The front dome is a first experiment, shaping wire modelmaking mesh over =
> softball, and containing it within another embroidery hoop this one
> wood.  (the inner ring of this one is in the center of the zepp for suppo=
rt
> - not really needed,  just experimenting.)  It's just loosely wired on in=

> the photos, I haven't figured out yet how to attach it, but I'd like to
> include it in the hoop that supports the front of the zepp. First attempt=
> at that proved difficult. Something like it probably for the back dome,
> with a hatch for the cable.

You probably won't like the modelmaking mesh when you try slipping the
fabric cover on. It's possible to mold the plastic canvas by heating it
in a oven and shaping it while hot over a mold. I've experimented with
that using a mold that was made by modifying a PVC pipe cap to make it
more rounded and it works.

The other way would be the latchook mesh which could be molded while wet
then painted with enough paint to make it stiff enough.

You could also dip that modelmaking mesh in the tool dip stuff to smooth
it out for slipping fabric over.

> I picked up a roll of polyester fleece while I was out, thinking I might=

> try lining the zepp with it - anyone done this?  Seems pretty transparent=
,
> but might color too much.

Only one way to find out for sure, put it on and see what happens. It's
on my list of possible cover fabrics as well.

> As I understand it, when I get the domes worked out, I am going to want t=
> cover the entire structure with nylon stocking-like material, and for mor=
> windy days, fake fur.  I am also contemplating using the fine mesh-on-fra=
me
> OEM windscreens (not foam filters) on the mics inside the zepp, for anoth=
er
> layer of still air.

Yes, as it stands it won't do much of anything, the thin fabric layer is
necessary. Putting a thin cover on the mics themselves is a common
practice. I use knit baby socks, the tube sock kind.

I noticed some clamps sticking out from the hoops. You need to find a
way to get rid of them or you will be cussing them every time you put
fabric on.