Re: Marantz 660

Subject: Re: Marantz 660
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:45:03 -0000
CF cards although very nice and small are just a temp storage device.
The advantage with the cf recorders are clear in that you save 100% of
the audio. Most of my archive is saving only the most important part
of 20% in MD format.

I don't travel without a laptop tied to my gps as well as being a
portable studio and car entertainment center anyway.  Two cards would
always be enough for me.  External hard drives is where I am at for
archives of full resolution stuff.  I can transfer while I drive which
is fine since travel time is such a big thing in nature recording.

My problem is finding a good recorder to come out that I can afford.
At least now there is something now that the 722 finally is being
delivered. Still wish they would have turned on the other two channels
for line level recording as you know the rest of the machine is not
different from the 744.

I guess the question still is who has the cheapest full audio line
level recorder if I am resigned to using a separate mic pre. and have
to keep the budget down.  I am thinking that probably that still is MD
for 16 bit and I still don't know for 24 bit 4 channel but think
things have not progressed much this spring and I am still better off
doing it laptop since I have to have one anyway.

Rich
fairly pissed off on how stagnant audio product dev. is compared to
mainstream electronics.  Not to mention how come a box of corn flakes
costs more than a solar powered calculator.

--- In  "John Hartog"