Re: Marantz 660

Subject: Re: Marantz 660
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:33:09 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> CF cards although very nice and small are just a temp storage device.
> The advantage with the cf recorders are clear in that you save 100% of
> the audio. Most of my archive is saving only the most important part
> of 20% in MD format.

Actually, because of the sampling you save almost none of the analog
audio with either.

> I guess the question still is who has the cheapest full audio line
> level recorder if I am resigned to using a separate mic pre. and have
> to keep the budget down.  I am thinking that probably that still is MD
> for 16 bit and I still don't know for 24 bit 4 channel but think
> things have not progressed much this spring and I am still better off
> doing it laptop since I have to have one anyway.

I would agree, MD still is the cheap way.

I consider the laptop to be a patch for the problem of lack of good
recorders. It certainly would not work for me.

> fairly pissed off on how stagnant audio product dev. is compared to
> mainstream electronics.  Not to mention how come a box of corn flakes
> costs more than a solar powered calculator.

That depends, I've seen solar powered calculators being given away as
door prizes.

I think the problem is that quality audio demand has gone way down. So
fast and so far that it's hard for the manufacturers to notice that
there still is a quality audio demand. This is a problem particularly at
the consumer level. I do hope they notice soon or it's going to get worse.