Re: Any conclusion on WL183 and (loud) bass?

Subject: Re: Any conclusion on WL183 and (loud) bass?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:36:59 -0600
At 11:05 PM +0000 2/26/05, digidandy wrote:
>--- In  Jeremiah Moore <>
>wrote:
>
>>  I tried the 183s with the Sony PCM-M1 and they were also very
>>  low-headroom, distoring with slightly elevated speaking voice, mics
>>  mounted on my head.  I measured the P-I-P voltages as follows:
>>
>>  Sony PCM-M1, loaded w/ 183s:  1.49v
>>  Sony PCM-M1, unloaded:  2.01v
>>  Sony MZ-R37, loaded w/ 183s:  1.83v
>>  Sony MZ-R37, unloaded:  2.44v
>
>So, in other words I would have to find out the output voltage of my
>Sharp IM-DR580 before making any final decicions to go for the WL183s,
>I guess.

I use Shure 183's on both a Sharp MT-90 and a Sony NH-900 with no
distortion. I measured the voltage on the Sony NH-900 to be 2.3 volt
pip, unloaded and 1.8 volts pip loaded. Could we have different
capsules or wiring?  Mine are Shure #R183B caps with #C122 cables
using this wiring
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg
Rob D.