Re: WL-183 mount

Subject: Re: WL-183 mount
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:00:44 -0500
From: Dan Dugan <>

> Well, yes and no. The subject sounds are nicely stereo. But as we
> heard in someone else's no-barrier omni pair dish recording last
> year, the recording of the ambient sound is close to mono.

One of the big problems is that folks are not used to critically
evaluating stereo fields. Most of the "stereo" they hear is in fact just
a bunch of panned mono. So they call lots of things stereo that only
have differences in each channel, but don't form a good stereo field.

Many of the mic setups I've seen folks experimenting with fall in this
class. It takes a lot more careful design and understanding of how we
hear and identify stereo to design mic setups that do it well. Just
putting two mics somewhere does not have much of a chance of being right.

For those interested, it's worth a bit of reading so you understand
stereo better. I recommend, as a start:
http://www.stereosoundbook.com/

There are other books and online discussions as well.