Re: WL-183 mount

Subject: Re: WL-183 mount
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:33:09 -0000
Dan commented:
"The subject sounds are nicely stereo. But as we
heard in someone else's no-barrier omni pair dish recording last
year, the recording of the ambient sound is close to mono."

Good observation, Dan. Listening again, the ambient sounds sound
confined to a narrower field than the subject sounds.

Rob Commented:
"Frogs in Ice?! The hardware cloth appears to
create more obstruction than vinyl gutter mesh. What the purpose of
the long tube on the stereo rig?"

The weather changed dramatically: on Saturday here in Portland
Oregon there was an ice storm and a high of 28F, and then on Monday
when I recorded the frogs, we had the warmest January high on record
at 66F.
Maybe the gutter mesh you have would be less obstructive. I have
some gutter mesh I found at a recycled scrap store, but it is too
flimsy for this purpose. I guess different brands must have
different qualities.
The longer tube might not be necessary, but the reason for it is to
hold the windscreen fabric out away from the mics for better wind
protection.

Walt commented:
"One of the big problems is that folks are not used to critically
evaluating stereo fields. Most of the "stereo" they hear is in fact
just a bunch of panned mono..."

Maybe, but in this case I think it is actually stereo, as the
subject sounds in the recording are positioned relatively accurate
to how they really were positioned in the brush along the water's
edge.

Thanks for your comments,
John Hartog

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: Dan Dugan <>
>
> > Well, yes and no. The subject sounds are nicely stereo. But as
we
> > heard in someone else's no-barrier omni pair dish recording last
> > year, the recording of the ambient sound is close to mono.
>
> One of the big problems is that folks are not used to critically
> evaluating stereo fields. Most of the "stereo" they hear is in
fact just
> a bunch of panned mono. So they call lots of things stereo that
only
> have differences in each channel, but don't form a good stereo
field.

> Many of the mic setups I've seen folks experimenting with fall in
this
> class. It takes a lot more careful design and understanding of how
we
> hear and identify stereo to design mic setups that do it well.
Just
> putting two mics somewhere does not have much of a chance of being
right.

> For those interested, it's worth a bit of reading so you
understand