Re: WL-183 mount

Subject: Re: WL-183 mount
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:41:10 -0800 (PST)
> the outfit running but plan to build a suspension for the elements
> in the future.  I like the setup that Rob has, ( elements mounted on
> the end of rods which clips to his backpack and extends out to the
> sides, making the microphone hands free).

Have you considered making a head-mounted windscreen?

I love my "WHB" windscreen from Sonic Studios; when Jeremiah Moore brought
over his pair of WL-183s the other day for me to oggle I was pleased to
see they should be easily mountable in such a windscreen, which could be
homebrewed quite cheaply...

My design is to use doubled wire cork-cages from champagne bottles as
a rigid cage, which are mounted narrow end out on cheap old over-ear
headphones.

A suspension could be made with rubberbands inside to aligator clip to;
wires exit along the frame of the headphones and along with baby socks as
windscreening can be ziptied/rubberbanded down... the exact baby socks to
be used TBD :); I'm sure cotton/wool/nylon etc. have different balances
between windblast protection and acoustic transparency.

Done cleanly this setup has the advantage of being very stealthy ~ but,
you do have to practice being very quiet and still. (Personally I find
that a marvelous opportunity to attend fully to my surroundings anyway!).

Oh and of course in this type of recording, monitoring is ill-advised; I
always set levels by meters and trust to the fates!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org