Re: WL-183 mount

Subject: Re: WL-183 mount
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:50:55 -0600
>I am going to mount my WL-183's directly to a hard surface to get
>the outfit running but plan to build a suspension for the elements
>in the future.  I like the setup that Rob has, ( elements mounted on
>the end of rods which clips to his backpack and extends out to the
>sides, making the microphone hands free).
>
>My main decission is should I use foam to encase the element or
>should I use low tension support from rubber bands?   The main
>design consideration is to keep the setup light, small and
>portable.  If foam is nearly as good as rubber bands I could also
>make a handle of foam and do many variations to carry the rig.=A0
>When I get this project finished I will post photos of the
>connectors and mounts that I have decided on.
>
>Jerry White  Muscatine, IA

Dan's vest pads look smart and work great. His
"pads" could be velcro-attached to other clothing
if the fabric isn't prone to vibration noise.

Because of their low mass, the 183's are pretty
simple to suspend. Below are some photo's of my
183s at present. Much less smart looking than
Dan's! but little cable fuss and wind noise. The
phones are ~$30 30mm Driver Sonys. The ear cups
fit tight enough to prevent feedback. In the
close-up, you can see the 1/8" thick foam pad
that has been glued to outside of cup. I cut a
slit about half-way down the long way of a 1"X 1"
X 1.5" cube of medium density foam and
glue-gunned the un-slit end to the foam pad. (You
can see the white of the foam sticking out). The
183s slip inside of the slits pointing out and
are secured with loose twist ties. Their the
cords are restrained (with a flex loop)  by
electrical taping them to the headphone cables.
Gorilla fur caps are wired on with thin stiff
wire that pokes through the foam. This seems to
provide enough suspension as I can walk lightly
without foot fall concussions coming through. Rob
D.

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/0501_344_183Headset.jpg
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/0501_0349_183Headset.jpg