[EVENT][SF,CA,USA][Fri Jan 28] Field Effects 21

Subject: [EVENT][SF,CA,USA][Fri Jan 28] Field Effects 21
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:54:26 -0800 (PST)
As always, apologies for the cross-posting folks! -- aaron

----------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]--------------------

Field Effects 21
Friday, January 28th
Doors 8pm
964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA (USA)

$6-10 requested sliding donation,
 no one turned away for lack of funds.

----> Event Description <----------------------------------------------

The world makes music, remember to listen.

The Field Effects series showcase the use of found sound, found
materials, and field recordings in media art, presented in a uniquely
comfortable environment.

Field Effects 21 features sound and video work from:

  Yuko Nexus6 & Mariko Tijiri

    YukoMariko, the working name for the collaboration of Yuko Nexus6
    (sound) and Mariko Tajiri (image). Together, the duo explore the
    inevitable gaps, delusions, gaga thoughts, postcards, and
    stereotypes had by visitors in foreign places. Their sound and
    video work is based on the many field recordings gathered in
    their travels.

    For Field Effects 21 YukoMariko will present 'MicrOLive', on
    which they comment that in the performance's title, 'O' means
    'eau' means water. Of the piece Yuko writes, 'The audience can
    enjoy sounds of water and many scenes of water in real-time video,
    in the relaxed feeling of Aaron's series of events as always...'

    Yuko Nexus6 is a prolific and internationally recognized sound
    artist who embraces both hi-tech (laptop) and lo-tech (cassette)
    sound-making methods. She has been the subject of numerous
    interviews and citations, most recently in David Toop.s historical
    survey of electronic music, Haunted Weather. In 2003 she received
    an honorable mention for digital music in the Prix Ars Electronica
    for 'Journal de Tokyo' (Sonore Records).

    When interviewed in The Japan Times by Suzannah Tartan, Yuko said,

       'When people take a photo, the framing and trimming are important.
        When we shoot the photo, the ordinary thing becomes a framed fact.
        That is almost like my music. The ordinary sound is framed and
        trimmed.

        In my style [of music], people can make very beautiful things from
        noise. And from this experience, my ear has become open to all
        sounds. Good, bad, noisy, calm become equal.

        People think that birds singing are beautiful, but that the exhaust
        noise of a bosozoku [motorbike gangs] is bad. But to my ear,
        everything is beautiful.

        I want my music to reflect my daily life. Sometimes I compose my
        music with kitchen noise -- washing dishes, washing rice.
        They make such nice sounds...'

    Mariko Tajiri is a visual artist specializing in installation and
    video art. She studied art at the Kyoto College of Art and the
    Ecole Nationale d'Art at Cergy-Pontoise, Paris. A recipient of a
    Philip Morris Art Award in 2000 and 2004, Mariko lives in Kobe and
    has shown widely in Japan and Europe.

       http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~nexus6/index_e.html
       http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~nexus6/article.html
       http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fm20030323st.htm
       http://www.kcc.zaq.ne.jp/dfbdt009/oeufpoche/index.html

  Scott Arford

    Of 'The Song of the Station,' the work he will present at Field
    Effects, Arford writes:

       'The title is borrowed from Giorgio de Chirico's 1912 poem. The
        inspiration for this work is a remark made by my friend Sukhwant
        Jhaj some eleven or more years ago. We were standing in front of
        7hz, when he pointed to the immense metal warehouse building severa=
        hundred feet distant, resting silently on Pier 82. "That," he said,
        "is the Little Station."'

    The poem reads:

       The Song of The Station
       Giorgio de Chirico, 1912

       Little station, little station, what happiness I owe you. You look
       around, to left, and right, also behind you. Your flags snap
       distractedly, why suffer; let us go in, aren't we already numerous
       enough? With white chalk or black coal let us trace happiness and
       its enigma, the enigma and its affirmation. Beneath porticoes are
       windows, from each window an eye looks at us, and from the depths
       voices call to us. The happiness of the station comes to us, and
       goes from us transfigured. Little station, little station, you are
       a divine toy. What distraught Zeus forgot you on this square-geometr=
ic
       and yellow-near this limpid, disturbing fountain? All your little
       flags crackle together under the intoxication of the luminous sky.
       Behind walls life proceeds like a catastrophe. What does it all
       matter to your? Little station, little station, what happiness I
       owe you.

    Scott Arford is one of the leading figures of new media arts in
    the San Francisco Bay area. His works include sound and visual
    performances, fully immersive multichannel sound and video
    installations, and (as Infrasound) low frequency spacial-acoustic
    explorations with Randy H.Y. Yau.

    Arford has presented his works throughout the US, Europe, Japan,
    Australia, China, Tiawan, and South America. Arford received a
    Bachelor of Architecture from the College of Architecture and
    Design at Kansas State University in 1991. Arford has presented
    dozens of performances by interntationally acclaimed sound and
    media artists at his warehouse studio/performance space, 7hz.

       http://www.7hz.org

Depending on audience interest, I may also screen the first year of my
own 30 frames-per-day project, which if you've been to events in the
last two years, you may find yourself appearing in, if only for 1/30th
of a second (cf http://www.quietamerican.org/related_mnem.html).

The Field Effects series showcases artists who are interested in
framing the hidden beauty of the everyday world: beauty on the surface,
awaiting our attention. Beauty that must be delicately extracted. And
beauty in potential, awaiting juxtaposition, collage, repetition and
mutilation.

Seating mostly on futons and our new flock of beanbags, to encourage
comfortable deep listening. You are always welcome to bring pajamas or
a pillow.

Depending on weather, hot or cold drinks will be available on a
donation-based honor system. With luck, someone will bake cookies.

----> Venue Info <----------------------------------------------------

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART, or the corner of Market & Van
Ness. Plenty of secure bike parking inside!

About the series:

   http://www.fieldeffects.org

This message is not for print distribution or advertising.
This is a private event for friends, family and our community.

Questions? Write