Re: Basic Electricity

Subject: Re: Basic Electricity
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:00:00 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> --- In  Walter Knapp <>
> wrote:

>>> This is all wet, no amount of copper stops magnetic fields, which pass=

>>> right through the cable. And the configuration of the wires is designed=

>>> to deal with the alternating electromagnetic field's induced voltage in=

>>> the wires of the cable.
>

> The sales stuff that Canare uses to compare star quad to two wire does
> not indicate the type or quality of the shield. Canare uses a good
> shield which is likely shown in their test results more than any
> internal quality.  As magnetic force is related more to the current
> strength which we never will see in the outdoors I really do not care
> what happens to their cable in a magnetic field.

Canare's catalog and their website give the same info.
For the L-4E Series:
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=3D79844442-3048-7098-AFAD046DCA18A=
AFA
(you can also download pdf's of their catalog from their website)

The page above starts with a drawing of the cable in all it's layers,
clearly showing the braid shield. The features section just below that
starts it's list with the braid shield. Just below that the mechanical
table gives the shield coverage. And below that the electrical table
gives the various electrical parameters, including those of the shield.

Page 36 of their catalog gives much the same info organization. Page 35,
which is titled "The star quad story" not only discusses the braid
shield but gives instructions about termination. You have to unbraid the
end to put a connector on. I use a tiny jeweler's screwdriver for this
and work under a magnifying lamp. Those with younger eyesight may not
need the magnification. Unbraiding a end takes less than a minute.

So, that's the primary sales stuff of Canare, and it seems to be giving
a whole bunch of info on the shield. Certainly the shield is part of the
high quality of their cable, but it's not all of it.

I would suggest you go and read the link I gave earlier, it's written by
a engineer who does not work for Canare, but just sells all types of
cable. You will find there are advantages in the star quad design beyond
the noise resistance. Particularly in high frequency loss on long runs.
http://www.procosound.com/whitepapers.htm

Actually I do find the capabilities in a magnetic field useful in nature
recording. Before going to star quad I used to have occasional problems
in the fields under power lines. Not just the high tension lines, who's
right of way is often prime frog country, but even under the 15 kV rural
power distribution lines. It's amazing how far away from such lines you
can still pick up hum with lessor designs of cable. Even with star quad
I've run into places under high tension lines that the fields were so
strong as to get into the recorder, or into the mic. And in moist
weather, even without getting in, the crackle of the electrical
discharge from them will be recorded.

It's worth noting, that in my case when I was deciding on which cable to
use I extensively searched for reviews and comments by sound engineers
and other experts. I never rely only on what the sales department of any
company says. The experts are very consistent in their description of
the added value of the star quad configuration. Even then I got only a
small amount to try first. It's very impressive cable. No matter if your
reason is just temperature tolerance, or, like mine, sound quality.

>>> I first went to it for it's electrical characteristics. It was a bonus=

>>> that it's handling was so good. Not the other way around.
>

> This I can understand and is likely related to the differnce in the
> environ that we find ourselves recording in.  You enjoy the warmth
> that I melt in.

It is worth noting that if you think there is no value in star quad that
Canare uses exactly the same outer PVC coating and shield design on it's
twisted pair mic cable. It comes in the same two diameters, and many of
the same colors. The coating is not unique to star quad, and therefore
is not a reason to choose the more expensive star quad over the twisted
pair mic cable.
Regular size twisted pair, L-2T2S:
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=3DC86D2270-3048-7098-AFFFB874C85CF=
D00
Mini size twisted pair, L-2E5:
http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=3DD0A595E1-3048-7098-AF591C0C5F398=
32F

I'll go out and tell the frogsickles that Rich says it's warm so they
can quit imitating frozen, melt and get on with calling. Not as cold as
you get, but we do get down right at zero at times. We get both hot and
cold.